The idea of growing a good crop of marijuana right on your balcony or in a greenhouse is a good idea. If you have the enthusiasm and fresh seeds from the Herbies store, everything will be easy. For now, let’s find out what is the difference between feminized weed seeds and ordinary ones, as this is the first question that arises among beginners.
What are regular hemp seeds?
Regular marijuana seeds, also called regular seeds, are the most common type of seed used to grow cannabis. It can be either male or female, which means that once the seed is planted, you cannot know whether the plant that will grow from it will be male or female.
If you’re growing cannabis to produce cannabinoid-rich resin, you want female plants because they produce flowers rich in these compounds. If you are growing hemp for other purposes, such as seeds for food or use in the textile industry, male plants can also be useful.
Advantages of regular seeds
- Regular seeds are usually less expensive than feminized seeds or auto-flowering seeds.
- Diversity of genetic material is provided. Each plant has unique characteristics (different cannabinoid content, aroma, taste).
- A great option for breeders who create new hybrids and varieties with unique characteristics.
Features of feminized seeds
Feminized marijuana seeds are genetically modified planting material for growing exclusively female plants. The creation of feminized seeds is typically carried out using various methods of artificial insemination, which ensure that each specimen grown will be female. These methods may include a means of chemical treatment of plants or the use of specially developed genetic technologies.
Advantages of feminized varieties
- All plants will be female and have cannabinoid-rich buds.
- The high yield and quality of each plant are guaranteed.
- It takes less effort and resources to grow because you don’t have to remove the male plants or wait for them to drop pollen and pollinate the female plants.
- Genetically modified female plants are more resistant to stressful conditions, such as temperature changes or excessive moisture, so the gardener gets a more stable harvest.
Which seed is better to buy in your case: regular or feminized?
Choosing between regular and feminized seeds depends on your needs and requirements. If you are looking for numerous seeds at an affordable price, regular seeds may be a better option. They can also be beneficial for those who want to grow plants from seed, harvest their own seeds, and preserve the genetics of their favorite strains.
However, if you need to know for sure that you will get female plants and want to maximize your yield, feminized seeds will be more suitable. Feminized seeds provide a higher quality and more reliable harvest because they ensure that each plant is female, resulting in a higher cannabinoid content. However, it is worth noting that feminized varieties are usually more expensive, as their breeding requires additional effort. In addition, for the next sowing, you will not be able to collect your planting material. You will have to buy such seeds again. For growing plants on the windowsill, this is a completely acceptable option, while for industrial scales, this option is used less often, because any business is interested in reducing costs in any way.
So, you won’t get a ready answer. It is necessary to rely exclusively on the real situation and specific needs and preferences and make a choice based on this basis.