Any author, when writing an article or essay using other people’s ideas, should give them their due. You can simply transfer them in your own words or make a direct quotation, but you still need to pay tribute to the resource from which the material was taken. If you will now do this, it will be considered as plagiarism, contrarying to ethical considerations and may result in quite serious consequences from bad evaluation to dismissal.
The format of citation APA was developed by the American Psychological Association for academic work in the field of Social Sciences. It is also actively used in paper writing service. Of course, APA suggests, first of all, a style of writing, but this article will show us a topic citation in this style.
How to cite a book in the APA
- Find an author of the book. His name must be specified on the cover or title page of the book.
- Find a date of publication. It contains on the reverse side of the title page. You need the latest, the nearest to you, date.
- Select a way of citation. In quoting there are two main methods:
- You can specify the author at the beginning of the sentence, using only his last name. Remember, the publication date must be specified in brackets, and the author’s name is not.
- You can put a quote at the end of the sentence without the direct indication of the author. In this case, the author and the date of publication are enclosed in brackets and separated by a comma. Always indicate the author first and then indicate the date.
- If the book has several authors, you must specify them all.
If there are two authors, their names are separated by the conjunction sign. If there are more than two authors, use commas and a conjunction sign.
- In the direct citation, specify page numbers.
This is necessary in order to explain exactly where you got this information from. Regardless of the way of quoting, the page number is always indicated at the end of the sentence.
- Do not forget about the punctuation marks.
When quoting inside the text, quotes should be placed before the link to the author, then you must put a dot.
How to cite in the list of references
- The list of references should be started with the link to the author in this order: last name, and then initials with dots.
- The next step is the date of publication in brackets.
- Now you need to specify the name of the book (in full). Unlike other types of citation, only the first word of the title and the first word of the subtitle are written with a capital letter in the APA. The title should be italicized.
- Specify the city and state where the book was published. The city of publication is usually listed on the title page. If several cities are indicated, choose the one closest to you. Use postal abbreviations without dotting the letters. There is also a comma between city and state.
- Add the name of the publishing company. Between the name of the state and the name of the publishing company, there must be a colon.
Computer formatting of citation
- Reverse paragraph.
This means that the first line of each quotation should be on the left edge, but each subsequent line should begin with a paragraph.
- If the cites are long, they should all begin with a reverse paragraph. For this, you need to select quotes and, using a ruler, hold the cursor to the mark of 1.25 centimeters.
- List of references. It must be arranged using a double line spacing.
A little note:
Specify the page number in quotes inside the text is optional. But it will be easier for the reader to find information, so it is advisable to include numbers in the formatting.
Of course, quotes differ depending on the type of resource, but knowledge of bases, no doubt, simplifies the process if you will need to cite something complex. Agree, it is much easier to do anything when there is at least some experience in this case. Even more, so that each of us needs to be able to cite right. It is done by all people, starting with students, writing their essays, and ending with professors and doctors of Sciences, working on projects and dissertations.