What books should I read for Black History Month?
15 Books to Read During Black History Month and Beyond
- The Dead Are Arising: The Life of Malcolm X by Les Payne and Tamara Payne.
- Heavy by Kiese Laymon.
- Punching the Air by Ibi Zoboi and activist Yusef Salaam.
- Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools by Dr.
- All About Love: New Visions by bell hooks.
What can we do at work for Black History Month?
4 ways to celebrate Black History Month in the workplace
- Bring in speakers and create a space for employees to listen and share.
- Spotlight employee stories.
- Ask employees to take the lead.
- Volunteer your time and your money.
- Supporting diversity in the workplace 365 days a year.
What books every black man should read?
11 Books by Black Authors College Students Should Read
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X. By Malcolm X and Alex Haley.
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.
- War Girls.
- Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Superpower.
- The Water Dancer.
- An Untamed State.
- The Hate U Give.
What are some themes for Black History Month?
Black History Month Themes
- 2021 Theme: The Black Family: Representation, Identity, and Diversity.
- 2020 Theme: African Americans and the Vote.
- 2019 Theme: Black Migrations.
- 2018 Theme: African Americans in Times of War.
- 2017 Theme: The Crisis in Black Education.
- 2016 Theme: Hallowed Grounds: Sites of African American Memories.
Who is the author of Black History Month?
historian Carter G. Woodson
The precursor to Black History Month was created in 1926 in the United States, when historian Carter G. Woodson and the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History announced the second week of February to be “Negro History Week”.
What is the purpose of African American literature?
This presence has always been a test case of the nation’s claims to freedom, democracy, equality, the inclusiveness of all.” African American literature explores the issues of freedom and equality long denied to Blacks in the United States, along with further themes such as African-American culture, racism, religion.
How do you celebrate Black History Month?
BHM has been celebrated in the U.S. for over a century….
- Hire Black speakers. One of the best ways to celebrate BHM is by inviting Black field experts to come speak to your employees.
- Amplify Black voices.
- Partner with Black-owned companies.
- Support a charity focused on racial justice.
How is Black History Month celebrated at home?
How to Celebrate Black History Month at Home
- Check out the local children’s museum.
- Study African American culture and recipes.
- Study influential African Americans based upon your child’s own interests.
- Check out other local kid-friendly events in your town.
- Turn your classroom into a museum.
- Create a virtual museum.
What is the first book ever written?
The first ever books The first book ever written that we know of is The Epic of Gilgamesh: a mythical retelling of an important political figure from history.
What’s another name for Black History Month?
Also known as African American History Month, the event grew out of “Negro History Week,” the brainchild of noted historian Carter G. Woodson and other prominent African Americans. Since 1976, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month.
What is the theme for this year Black History Month 2021?
The theme for Black History Month 2021 is The Black Family: Representation, Identity and Diversity and is set every year by the Association for the Study of African American Life and History®, an organization founded in 1915 by Dr.
What are some good books for Black History Month?
Bring this celebration into your classroom with these 35 fiction and nonfiction books. The titles in this list cover critical time periods like the Great Depression and the civil rights movement as well as the lives of influential African American leaders like Martin Luther King Jr., Ruby Bridges, Duke Ellington, and Rosa Parks, among others.
When is Black History Month in the US?
Since 1976, Americans have celebrated Black History Month each February—a time to honor the accomplishments of African Americans in the United States. Bring this celebration into your classroom with these 35 fiction and nonfiction books.
Who are the best authors of Black History?
Kwame Alexander, Meena Harris and more bestselling authors select favorite Black history titles, from children’s books to classics. Our editors independently selected these items because we think you will enjoy them and might like them at these prices.
Who are the 5 black explorers in history?
Follows five explorers: space traveler Mae Jemison, North American explorer Esteban, developer James Beckwourth, Chicago founder Jean Baptiste Pointe du Sable, and Matthew Henson, the first African American to reach the North Pole. Read More